Sunday, March 9, 2014

Installing Singer Sew-Ware Conversion Tool under Windows 7

With the impending demise of security patches for Windows XP I decided that I needed to try and get the Sew-Ware conversion application running on a newer OS.  My mother uses this application extensively to transfer embroidery files to her Singer Quantum XL-6000 Embroidery machines.  She has been stuck back on XP for years because everyone said that running running this software under a newer OS was "impossible".  For an "impossible" task the solution ended up being a whole lot easier than I expected.

Get a computer with a newer OS.  I used a fresh install/patched version of Windows 7 on a spare laptop I had.  I'm fairly confident that this would work with Windows 8.x as well but have not tested yet.

UPDATE: I installed Windows 8.1 on a test system and confirmed the exact same procedure works under for it as well.

Install the Sew-Ware Conversion Tool application.  Just a standard install for the most part.  However the install did hang at 100% when running on Windows 7 and I had to manually "End Task" to kill it.  I assume there is a minor incompatibility with the install app.  It does install all the files, it just does not create the start menu icons.

Create a new shortcut on the desktop. With the installed done (and killed if necessary), open Windows explorer and browse to the C:\Sew-ware_CT folder (this is the default install location,  if you installed to a different folder open it).  Scroll down and find the CTSew_warre application file, right click it and select "Create Shortcut".



Then drag and drop the shortcut on to the desktop.




Note: At this point if you open the Sew-Ware application by double clicking the icon on the desktop you'll see the "Error in cportio.sys driver" message.




Set Compatibility options.  Right click the desktop shortcut and select Properties and then the Compatibility tab.  Check the "Run in program compatibility mode for:" box,  select "Windows 98 / Windows ME" in the drop down and click OK.  This is the secret sauce that makes it all work.





When you launch the Sew-Ware application you will be shown the UAC warning.  Click Yes to proceed.




Open a file and select "Transmit to machine".  You'll need to select the correct com port and speed for the connection. Click "Wait to Send", start the transfer from the embroidery machine and let 'er rip!



Note: When I first started testing this I was using an older Belkin USB to serial adapter.  The adapter worked fine for transferring form an XP system, but under Win 7 it would hang half way through.  I could see it sending and receiving from the PC and the machine, so I knew it was at least communicating.  I tried a couple of no name brand USB to serial adapters and they worked fine.   So, be warned, if you're using a USB to serial adapter there could be compatibility issues between it and Windows 7 as well.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information. It's now December 2014 and I'm digging out my XL 6000. I was wondering if you've had any challenges with the OS upgrades since your March post? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Belkin USB to serial adapter will also work fine if it happens to have the FTDI chip already in it, and if you just go to their site, and download the update for your particular style adapter, it should work fine.
    http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=5201

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now running this software on Windows 10 with no issues using this procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm about to try using Windows10 and I'm nervous. My old laptop still runs, but I know will eventually fail. Please let me know your Windows 10 still works.

      Delete
  4. I am now running this software on Windows 10 with no issues using this procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am tring PSW 2.0 on win 10 and its not working help

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2018!
    I am using Windows 7 and am able to transfer patterns that are small, but am told need to do multi looping with larger sizes. Tho I know I have a hoop big enough. I cannot override the warning and it will not transfer.
    Any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I have a windows 95
    Singer-PSW-Professional-Sew-Ware-ver-1-00 can I use it on my dell inspiron 11?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Windows 10 completely deleted my psw program and now I can't install it back. I hate windows 10. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I have a Edgeport USB converter that I had to have with another OS but even that seems to not work. Can anyone help me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. works just like you said. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far so good! Now if I can find the instructions on setting the port and baud rate I may be good to go and of course figuring out how to receive from the machine. I don't remember how to do any of that....Thanks for this info.

    ReplyDelete